Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Farewell To Shopper


december 28, bernie had to say good bye to his buddy of 14 years, his kitty "shopping news" and it has broken his heart.
this is a story i wrote about shopping news a few years back that a nice blog lady published for me on her blog...
http://www.occupytillicome.com/intro.html


Shopping News--The Cat!

Shopper's real name is "Shopping News."--For a reason. . . One morning when I was about to take my husband, Bernie, to work, I noticed a meowing coming from somewhere in the car. We looked under the hood of the car and nothing. Bernie thought I was just hearing things, so we got into the car and proceeded to drive. As soon as we had got around the corner, I told Bernie, "I STILL hear it!" We stopped right away at the side of the road, and by this time Bernie heard the same meowing!
He promptly got out, and going under the car, he started to explore. To his amazement he saw a small, skinny tail dangling from just under the muffler. He tried gently to give the tail a pull, with no results. There was nothing to be done but to give that tail a ruthless yank, and with that mighty pull out came a kitten! Somehow that little jigger had gotten himself on top of the muffler and had been trapped and couldn't get himself out! Well! Just then a guy that Bernie works with came by and yelled, "Bernie, you don't drive to work under the car! You get into the car!" With that he told Bernie he would drive him to work, and guess who got stuck looking after that kitten? Well I took him home and stuffed him into the bathroom with a litter box and a dish of food and shut the door. After all, I had a paper route to be delivered that morning. No time to be playing with stray cats! The paper I was delivering was the "Shopping News." Therefore that cat became "Shopping News"—“Shopper” for short, and ever since that day Shopper has been Bernie's boss. And my big black cat, "Sir Galahad" became Shopper’s boss. And as for me? I’m no longer a boss--I have become a referee for the three of them!
PS: Shopping News is now about ten years old and my Sir Galahad died at the age of 16 two years ago. © Teresa Shirkie



Bernie buried shopping news beside sir galahad in the back garden....

17 comments:

Terry said...

dear bernie..i am sorry for you...i love you..love terry

Dimple said...

Bernie, I am sorry you lost your cat. I know how they get into your heart, and how much it hurts when they leave.
Blessings,
Dimple

Felisol said...

Dear Bernie,
I am sorry for you too.
I have to quote aunt Lilly's speech after yesterday's funeral.
"Be not sad that he's gone. Be glad he was here."
From Felisol

jel said...

sorry too hear that !

it's ruff too lose a dear pet!

Pat said...

Aw Bernie, I'm so sorry. I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved pet.

grandpaw ron said...

Hi Bernie ,

Sorry about shopper , but I think it would have been nice for Terry to sing Amazing Grace at Shopper's grave side services ?

You gona need another pet , try a pomerarian [ one like my princess ] ! They are smart and a lovable dog ?

Blessings and Happy New Year to Ya'll.
grandpaw ron.

donna said...

so sorry Bernie...:(

audrey` said...

Take care.

Sara said...

so sorry bernie & terry. my heart hurts with you.

Amrita said...

Oh my heart just broke reaqding this. Bernie its so hard to lose a pet like SN.till cry for my Jimmy.

What happened was he sick /

Mrs. Mac said...

Better to have loved Shopper News and lost than to never have loved at all. My deep condolences to you Bernie.

David Edward said...

happy new year to you ( even when there is temporary sad news)

Trish said...

So sorry Bernie. We lost our dog Gracie just over a year ago and know the joy and love our pets bring.
What Felisol said is so true...we are glad they were here.
Happy New Year Miss Terry and Bernie!

Jada's Gigi said...

A sad entrance into the new year for you both.

Crown of Beauty said...

This must be such a pain...and I send condolences to dear Bernie.

Happy New Year, my dear friend! I'm back!

Love
Lidj

kanishk said...

how much it hurts when they leave.

Work from home India

Little Montreal Girl said...

awwwww that is soooo sad!!! I know how hard it is to lose a pet. Our kitty died when she was just a few months old. We had to replace her right away. The house was too empty! Last year we had to put our dog down because she had cancer. So sad!